Tavares, FL - Oct. 19, 2012
Here is the link to the 1 hour, 24 minute full debate - the moderator held the speakers to a strict 1:15 minute limit. TV stations only gave them 60 minutes of air time, but the link below is the full 1 hour 24 minutes of the debate . However, after the first hour ends, and after the intermissions (move the slider forward to the last off air segment at 59 minutes), they repeat earlier segments, so you are not missing anything after 59 minutes.
This complements yesterday's visit to Lake County's Republican Headquarters in Tavares.
Here are my observations:
-This is good to watch at least 30 minutes to get a perspective on the two candidates, but many of Nelson's lines come directly from the Obama camp.
- Nelson speaks very slowly, maybe to prevent making mistakes, or because his mental processes are slowing due to age (and I am 67). But Mack is a quick speaker, and if you pick someone on perceived energy, Mack wins.
- Best line: Mack to Nelson "If you voted to increase taxes 150 times, it is time for you to go!"
- Not much to say - Nelson repeats all the avoidance statements and lies like Obama.
- Question - What should be done for upcoming fiscal cliff? Nelson said it won't happen (WHAT?). He explains the super committee that didn't work, thus initiating sequestration, which are automatic cuts scheduled for January in Defense and other budgets (how convenient to be AFTER elections). Nelson said AFTER the elections, the Congress will modify the rules and reducing spending elsewhere. Mack compared Nelson's votes to what is happening, funds going to Egypt, etc. Mack didn't vote for sequestration but Nelson did. So, it appears that if Congress will change the rules AFTER the elections, then they were lying about being serious. I am afraid they will just print more money (causing inflation) and borrow from China, rather than actually reduce spending.
- Mack points out that Nelson has voted with Obama 99% of the time.
- Immigration - "Estimated 11-million illegal immigrants in Florida" - what are their stands: Nelson: Make them learn English, pay fees, then apply for amnesty. Supports Dream Act. Mack: He does not support amnesty. Need to make sure to secure Borders, use eVerify. Must not continue to have system to encourage people to break the law.
Basically, each candidate stated the positions of their respective Presidential Candidates.